Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Graduation Day


Well, the school year has now wound down. This is always a bittersweet time for me as a teacher. I'm so proud and excited for my students as they embark on the next stage of their learning. I'm also very honored I was able to contribute to that process and always feel good about what's been accomplished. But I'm no good at saying good-bye.

Last night was my 5 year old son's preschool graduation. I admit to some tears welling up as I saw him wearing his cap and gown, my thoughts flashing 13 years ahead to when he'll be in one again graduating HS.

On Monday of this week, my 5 year old brought home a picture of a sad face with the word "sad" written on the page. To give you some background, I only work at the preschool Tuesday - Thursday mornings. The title of this page was "How I'm feeling today." I asked him why he felt sad that day and he said "because you weren't at preschool today." What's he going to do when he's in Kindergarten and I'm not there all the time? Oh no. Here come the tears again.....

No comments: