Sunday, May 31, 2009

Race For The Cure










They say that laughter is the best medicine. Certainly the creators of these and other similarly amusing t-shirt slogans take that to heart when it comes to supporting breast
cancer awareness.

On June 13th, I'm heading back to my ol' alma mater to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure. This is my second year and I am very much looking forward to it. Though many participants use their race shirts to memorialize their loved ones whose lives were cut short due to breast cancer, the event itself is very uplifting. Along with the amusing shirts, seeing the sea of pink shirts signifying the breast cancer survivors is quite inspiring.

Below is my story that's on my race center webpage as well as the web address to my race site. Please feel free to copy and paste that address into your web browser to learn more about breast cancer, the Susan G. Komen Foundation, or ways you can help this cause. Perhaps one day this and all cancers will only be learned about in history books.

http://race.komennctriangle.org/goto/shaunaschmidt



I am participating in this race to hon
or the memory of two dear friends who lost their battles with breast cancer. My friend and former co-worker Libby Peebles died in the fall of 2000 and my friend and neighbor Shirley Feldbusch passed away in November 2005. I am also participating for my mother, sisters, grandmothers, stepmother, mother-in-law, sister-in-law, countless friends and myself who are fortunate enough right now to not be stricken with breast cancer but certainly face the threat since this disease has not been cured.

If you would like to contribute to this great cause, that would be awesome! You can contribute by making a donation. If that's not possible, then prayers for a safe race and the eradication of this dreadful disease are another way to contribute.

No comments: