Friday, May 29, 2009

Vacation Time

My 8 year old son is on a year round calendar so we have to do our vacations throughout the year, rather than during the summer when most people vacation because he's in school. He was tracked out for a good portion of this month, so instead of a week-long vacation, we opted to take a couple of mini-vacations.

For Mother's Day weekend, we went to the beach. We "camped" (if you can call staying in our RV camping) at a KOA in Wilmington. It was actually warm enough to get on bathing suits and play at the beach. The boys insisted on getting in the frigid water and my 5 year old wanted to swim to Africa (he loves animals). My daughter wanted to get in the water too and I walked in with her, but didn't get too far in.....way too cold for my liking. While we were there, we also took a tour of the motion picture studios. It's where the show One Tree Hill is filmed. Though we don't watch that show, it was neat to see an actual production set. We downloaded an episode when we got home, just so we could see the sets we saw in action.






We just got back from a 2 day vacation to Great Wolf Lodge in Concord, NC. If you've never been there, I say it's well worth the trip. They just opened up so they have Grand Opening specials going on now. It's quite high-end so I don't know that we'll be able to afford to go often, or even at all, down the road. It's a hotel with an indoor water park. You have to stay at the hotel to be able to use the water park. It's so huge and lots of fun! They have several water slides to choose from. My husband and oldest son loved the "Howlin' Tornado" water slide. I told my oldest son that any ride with the word "howlin'" in it is not a ride I'll go on. I'm chicken and I'm not too proud to admit it! Oh! And I actually did back out of riding one that required you to ride on your stomach face first. I could not bring myself to do that ride. Just didn't seem natural to ride like that....perhaps it's being a teacher and teaching children NOT to go down slides like that! haha! I did ride the other slides with my oldest. He even bribed me with ice cream for one of the slides! Of course, it wasn't HIM that was buying it, but he would make sure I got ice cream for riding it with him. My 5 year old wouldn't go on a slide. He goes on Splash Mountain at Disney, but not any of the waterslides. Go figure! They had a little kid area which splashed water every which way and had a little water slide, which of course my littler ones enjoyed. They have a bigger kid/teen area that also splashed water everywhere and the MOTHER of all water bucket dumpers. They also had a wave pool and a fun, calm pool. The calm pool had an area roped off for a lily pad/log obstacle course that the boys loved! They also have an outdoor calm pool. Great Wolf Lodge also has a full restaurant, with a kid-sized buffet (really neat, in my opinion) in addition to their regular buffet. They also have a Dunkin' Donuts (my favorite!) and MagiQuest game (for those who love fantasy-type games). My husband is really into fantasy-based games so he loved doing this "scavenger hunt" type of fantasy game with the boys. They have a cub club area for kids to play, read, do computer games or crafts. The boys painted a ceramic piggy bank and car shaped magnet while my husband and daughter napped one afternoon. They also have a full arcade room and a spa. My husband paid for a massage as a birthday present for me. I'd never had one before and felt so relaxed afterward. The children really liked our room. It was huge, with a microwave and mini-fridge. But the "best" part was the "kids" area, made to look like a cabin and painted animal murals on the walls. It had a bunk bed and day bed for the kids...plenty of room! We really had a great time.

No comments: